2013 will be the year of the electric vehicle. All manufacturers will release eletric models this year.
Renault bets on 100% electric vehicles, including ZOE to be the flagship of the range expected for early 2013.
Other manufacturers rely on hybridization with an electric mode more and more extensive: 20 km for the Prius Plug-in 3 to 60 km for the Opel Ampera (GM Volt), versus 1 to 2 km to the previous generation .
So far the performance of electric vehicles were limited by the batteries, and nineties experiments were not conclusive. However, this poor performance has been improved with the lithium-ion batteries (and derivatives), both in terms of range (100-200 km) that the reliability (maintenance of performance over time and the number of cycles charge / discharge).
In the case of a replacement of one million vehicles by thermal electric cars, it would lead to an increase of less than 0.3% of electricity consumption in France (absorbed by the increase of the renewables energies). Meanwhile, 1.4 billion liters of fuel would not be consumed. Moreover, the possibility of energy injection (V2GRID) to an clever energy network (SmartGrid) allow a limitation of power demand peaks that are expensive and polluting.
In addition, the battery park could eventually absorb excess energy produced or delete peak demand with future smart meters.
This website intends to explore the electric vehicle in all aspects
- Institutional: the success of Hybrid Electric Vehicles and is inextricably linked with policies on tax incentives and efforts at the level of charging structures.
The success of the electric car depends on the following items :
- Durability performance of autononie announced.
- Relevance of the economic model: the $150/barrel peak reached in 2008 is an objective ally.
- Constancy of environmental awareness
- improving the image of electric cars : statutory models offered by luxury manufacturers.
Remains to win the battle of the mass market, but first mainly businesses, which represent a first step, is the core market for electric vehicles in the beginning. Renault ZOE may be the first electric car for everynone. Wait and see...